Diocesan Synod is the primary governing body of the Diocese. It currently has a membership of around 160 representatives. As with General Synod, Diocesan Synod is split by House: Bishops, Clergy and Laity. The Bishop of Winchester is the President of the Synod, supported by the elected Chairs of the Houses of Clergy and Laity.
- Chair of the House of Laity: Mr Ian Newman
- Chair of the House of Clergy: The Revd Canon David Williams
The role of the Diocesan Synod is set out in the Synodical Government Measure 1969:
(a) to consider matters concerning the Church of England and to make provision for such matters in relation to their diocese, and to consider and express their opinion on any other matters of religious or public interest;
(b) to advise the Bishop on any matters on which he may consult the Synod;
(c) to consider and express their opinion on any matters referred to them by the General Synod, and in particular to approve or disapprove provisions referred to them by the General Synod under Article 8 of the Constitution;
(d) to consider proposals for the annual budget for the Diocese and to approve or disapprove them;
(e) to consider the annual accounts of the Diocesan Board of Finance of the Diocese.
Diocesan Synod Resources Available
- Bishop of Winchester's presidential presentation
- Mission: My Story - Tim Dakin
- Passionate Personal Spirituality
- Pioneering Faith Communities
- Prophetic Global Citizens
- Pioneering Faith Communities Bibliography
- Saturday 2 March Agenda
- DS 13/01 Bishop of Winchester's Enthronement Sermon
- DS 13/02 Acts of Synod December 2012
- Diocesan Synod Presentation
- Diocesan Synod Digest
- Synod Members Info Form
- Synod Members Guide
- Members' Questions
- Synod Agenda & Papers December 2012
- DS 12/12 Proposals for Governance Changes in the Diocese of Winchester
For any further enquiries regarding Diocesan Synod, please contact Jayne Tarry (01962 737348).
Keep up to date with the latest news from around Winchester Diocese, using the links below.
Do you have a story for us? It could not be easier to tell us your news and spread the message across the Diocese. Simply click the button below.
The power of possibility